Answer: You should stop writing new files to the formatted WD external hard disk drive, and you are able to recover all lost files with a third-party data recovery program.
Data Recovery Software Download for WD External Disk Recovery
After formatting your WD HDD external, the data is not erased completely, so you can rely on third-party data recovery software to recover the files. You can select reliable external disk recovery software, which is able to restore data from all brands of external hard disk including Western Digital hard disk. The external disk recovery software is able to help you restore all kinds of lost files such as images, videos, music, email, e-books, and more other crucial documents. The external disk recovery software supports all types of HDD external like 160GB, 500GB, 1TB, etc.
Download the Following Software to Recover Data
#1 Data Recovery
Software to restore data off usb drive, memory card, pen drive, hard disk, external drive etc.
How to use: best disk recovery software for step by step guide
Step-by-step Guide to Recover Formatted WD HDD External
Step1. Free download, install and launch the external disk recovery software. Connect your WD HDD external to your computer and choose proper recovery option.
Step2. Choose the formatted drive and the software will perform a scan on the selected drive for lost files. You only need to wait during the scanning.
Step3. After scanning, you can preview the found files. Then, you can select the files you need and recover them.
1. I made a mistake on my computer. I wrongly formatted my 500 WD external hard disk drive instead of the local hard disk partition. Well, I connected my WD external hard drive to my PC and it showed as E drive (removable disk). I backup the D drive (local disk in my computer) to my WD external hard drive, and then I decided to format D drive. However, mistakenly I formatted the E drive which is the drive letter of my WD external hard disk. It is too late to realize the mistake and now my WD HDD external is empty. There are lots of important file on this external hard disk besides the backup data from D drive. Can anybody tell me how can I unformat the WD external hard drive and get back lost files?
2. My WD external disk shows as a RAW drive in "My Computer", but I cannot access the drive because it needs to be formatted. Going to "Disk Management", system marks the WD external hard disk as healthy device but it also shows as RAW drive. When try to open the drive, I still receive the message like "disk drive is not formatted do you want to format it now". How can I fix the not formatted error on my WD external hard drive without formatting?
3. I have an external hard disk drive WD Elements 500GB WDBAAR USB 2.0, which has been used to backup important data from my laptop’s hard disk partition. For some reasons, my external hard disk is reformatted and now it becomes empty. I need to get back the lost data. Can anybody give me a clue?
1. No matter you perform quick format or complete format on your WD external hard disk drive, specialized external disk recovery software is available for lost data recovery after formatting.
2. When WD external hard disk drive require formatting due to disk not formatted error, RAW drive error or other disk errors, you had better run external disk recovery software to perform data recovery first of all.