When I connect my external hard disk to my PC, it shows as a removable device in "My Computer". But when I right click the external hard disk, I receive a message like "disk drive is not formatted do you want to format it now". The file system of the external hard disk also changes to RAW. Now, I am looking for a way to fix the not formatted error to get back lost data and change RAW file system back to NTFS or FAT32 without formatting. Hopefully somebody knows a way and I will appreciate it very much for any help.
Recover Data External Hard Disk Recovery Software
It is not a strange thing to run into the similar problem like above. You can format the external hard disk to fix not formatted error and change RAW file system to NTFS or FAT32, but data will be erased after formatting. Therefore, you can use external hard disk data recovery software to retrieve data from the RAW external hard disk when it has not formatted error. Once data has been restored, you can format the external hard disk without worrying about data loss.
Download the Following Software to Recover Data
#1 Data Recovery
Software to restore data off usb drive, memory card, pen drive, hard disk, external drive etc.
How to use: best disk recovery software for step by step guide
How to Recover Data from RAW External Hard Disk Step by Step?
Step1. Free download, install and run external hard disk recovery software on your computer. Connect the external hard disk to your computer and choose proper recovery option.
Step2. Choose the external hard disk and the software will perform a scan on the RAW drive in order to search for lost files.
Step3. You can preview the found files after scanning. Then, you can select the files you need and save them.
Tips for RAW External Hard Disk Recovery
1. Although you are unable to access your external hard drive when it shows not formatted error, all files are still intact on the disk. Therefore, you had better not format the external hard disk before data recovery.
2. When you save the recovered data, you cannot save it to the original external hard disk.
3. Before you can get back lost files, you should protect the external hard disk from being physically damaged or destroyed.
1. I have an external hard disk which has been used for several years. I often use it to backup some important data from hard disk partition. This morning, I decide to reinstall system on my computer, so I backup all important files to my external hard disk. After system reinstalling, I connect my external hard disk to my computer and want to transfer those files to hard disk partition. However, the problem is that my computer says external hard disk needs to be formatted before I can use it. I cannot format it because the files on the external hard disk have no backup. What should I do next?
2. I need help to recover data from my external hard disk. When I open the external hard disk, it responds quite slowly. So I unplug the external hard disk and reconnect it to my computer. However, the external hard disk cannot be recognized in "My Computer". Then, I open "Disk Management" and find that the external hard disk is shown as a RAW drive there. I right click the external hard disk in "Disk Management", the only option I can select it "Format". How can I convert the RAW external hard disk to NTFS without formatting it?